Thursday 24 October 2013

I need more gender mixed groups

"I don't know if such a thing exists. I lived in Japan for 9 years and Japanese boys and girls are positively phobic of each other. The last group I remember having both male and female members was "Strawberry Flower". That was one guy and one girl who were married, but that was nearly 10 years ago. I've followed J-pop a little since then and I haven't heard of another one."

Oh Asians. That's just about everything I've got to say. Mixed groups could be such a success, but no, it's a taboo after all to have both girls and boys in an idol group. There sure are collaborations, which by the way, are often ridiculously popular. People love watching a company's family concerts, seeing all their favourites, both male and female, on the stage at the same time. And what about all those variety shows with kissing games and dramas filled with sexual tension?

Asians + sexuality is still such an unclear subject to me. It's so weird they can have music videos with people in tiny panties shaking their booties to the camera and so on, you know what I'm talking about. As a western person it's almost impossible for me to understand how all the fanservice is okay and dating a person you love is forbidden. Even if I try, I'll never understand dating "scandals". If the fear of these scandals is the reason for gender mixed groups not to exist, shouldn't you just ban all the possibilities of interaction between genders?



From Korea, I have only one example of mixed groups to give you. Co-ed school. Oh, why would anyone ever debut a perfect group like this and then after one minialbum, separate them?



From Japan, I present you the only Asian mixed idol group I know still exists today: AAA (Triple A). I'm so glad they exist. Such a lovely group.



I really hope I haven't been searching well enough and that there actually would be more groups like this. Please, share your information if you have some! ♥


In another news, Trouble Maker is coming back! I must have not been the only one who expected only one single from the subunit, so I'm happy. Any kinds of mixed groups and I'll be happy!
Also, maybe a bit offtopic: Chrome Entertainment, Crayon Pop's agency, plan on debuting a 5-member boy group in November! They also spoke of a possible collaboration. I love Crayon Pop and I'm really looking forward to this Snakehead debuting. Yeah, that's their name! I think it's quite cool.

4 comments:

  1. Mixed groups, that's interesting. I bet the biggest reason why in jpop scene isn't so much them is because the fans want either girl-groups or boy-groups. Girl-groups has male-fans and boy-groups has girls. idk I think (some, not all) wotas think that girl x is his girlfriend and that's way they're super jealous if the girl was together with someone male. And boy-groups' members are girls' daydreams, gloss photos and so on. They have to be shining babyfaces, and if they have girlfriends, they have not to be in public with her.

    Johnnys' and girl-groups' companies are competetly different and have different rules, but it's all about money u_u

    #engrish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god I've completely ignored this comment ;A;
      Indeed, part of the fanservice market I was talking about - the fans own the idols... I still don't like the idea but that's the way they roll. Still, AAA are damn popular? And the western fans would, I guess, very much love mixed groups. Still, it's just too much of a taboo.

      Delete
  2. I've heard of at least one gender mixed group you didn't mention. It's called Dream5, it's japanese and there are one boy and four girls. (: But I agree, the whole gender-separating thing is ridiculous.

    And the no-dating-rule too, but that's so deeply in the idol industry that I don't think there's any hope for it to just disappear... :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I must check them out, thanks~ No, I don't believe it's going to go away in next 20-30 years... If ever, but I believe everything changes.

      Delete