Tuesday 27 January 2015

Taiki Bansei / Otome no Gyakushuu

ANGERME's first single with the new name and with 3rd
generation girls! What do I think of it?


It it even possible to be this excited for a song? Even though I only started following S/mileage properly last year and I'm not still too keen on the name ANGERME, I have been waiting for Taiki Bansei like crazy. One reason might be that alongside Meimi the new members appeal to me more than most old members. Especially Rikako, and I'm super happy too see her as a center here.

I also really like the dance and the setting of the dance shot. There's great energy there, even though its camerawork is slightly too messy. The clothes are casual but classy, which I adore. Only one minus: why oh why is Akari wearing a hoodie? That is only casual and she looks very out of place.

The horrible member introduction parts from the HaroSute version fortunately got deleted, but it wasn't enough to save the MV completely. The rainbow flag as the background of the close-up shots is fugly and doesn't fit the dance shot at all. The lighting makes some of the girls' hair look really messy. I guess they were going for a happier feeling with a colorful background, but let's be honest here - there's no way Taiki Bansei would need more happiness.

Song ★★★★★
Dance Shot ★★★★☆
Close-up ★☆☆☆☆
Clothes ★★★★☆
Overall ★★★★☆


When I saw Otome no Gyakushuu on HaroSute, my first reaction was to dislike it because it was so weird and nothing I had expected to hear after Taiki Bansei. But now that you think about it, Otome no Gyakushuu is the kind of song you would except from a group named ANGERME. And it really grows on you!

I actually really like the high-pitched parts, as well as the chorus. I just think the whole song could have been a lot more melodic instead of singing one particle at a time. There clearly has been a genius idea for a song, but the execution lacks a bit. The lyrics are interesting but don't always make sense, plus the arrangement is a bit off. The last ten seconds of the song are completely useless, I just wish it would have ended with the "la-la-la"s, it would've been so much more powerful.

And the MV is great! The setting is gorgeous, the close-ups are beautiful and there's more than just the dance and close-up shots! I love it! The antique furniture, the roses and the paleness fit the song perfectly. And so does the dance. Even though it's a bit weird, it has really fine parts, especially in the C-part. The outfits are fine. But just that, there's nothing very special about them.

Song ★★★★☆
Dance Shot ★★★★☆
Close-up ★★★★★
Clothes ★★★☆☆
Overall ★★★★☆


To be honest, even though I rate this song lower than Taiki Bansei, I think I will like Otome no Gyakushuu for a longer time. I just have that kind of a feeling. Anyway, overall, I think this is an all-kill single. Very nice start for ANGERME.

No comments:

Post a Comment