Tuesday 24 March 2015

Concerning Love Live!

So, obviously, Love Live! has been a huge thing recently.

I've heard some songs from μ's, seen some clips from the anime and I've got a lot of friends who are crazy about this series. I tried downloading the rhythm game once, but it didn't work on my device. I've fancied the character designs of Love Live! for a while, but never really felt like or felt pressured to watch the anime. I never said I never would, either, like the case might have been a few years back, when I was ridiculously negative towards idol animes.

Then, one day I stumbled upon the song Happy Maker!, and I went; "Why not."

Now, I'm not an anime person, I could say I usually watch one to two series a year, and don't even finish most of them. Still, I watched the first season of Love Live! in less than two days, and I was actually surprised how quickly it ended. I really liked the first season, and I wrote most of this after watching it. Season 2 was mainly boring, to be honest. I'd say only the last 2 episodes were actually worth something.

Here, read why Love Live! is so popular.


As an long-term idol fan I can say I'm surprised how long it took for an anime like this to appear and to become popular. (We can argue if this is the first pure idol-anime or not, but at least it's the first to go this big. Well, LL does have school genre in it too, but as school idols are an actual thing, you could call it a pure idol anime.) I mentioned how a few years back, when AKB0048 came out, I was really pissed about anime idols. I was the only idol fan I knew outside the internet and suddenly all my friends loved animated idols, do you get me?

Recently the situation has changed. It's partly because of LL and partly it is the reason why LL is so popular. Idols are a thing now. Artists like AKB48 and Kyary Pamyu Pamyu started becoming more popular around the same time Love Live! was released, and K-pop was getting even huger too. Nowadays it's very common to meet other idol fans at conventions and such, and I feel it's because everything just happened to happen at the right time. Japanese and Korean music and Japanese animation together caused an idol-boom. And I couldn't be happier about it. I don't know if people get it but even if it's "just" anime idols, after spazzing about idols alone for years, I feel so delighted to hear people talk about idols, to see people loving idols. (Note: Remember, I can only talk about my personal experiences, and I am only involved in the Finnish con scene.)

Why didn't this happen a few years ago? I think it wasn't only my childishness that was the reason I didn't like anime idols, it was because anime idols weren't ready yet.

Love Live! has nailed anime idols. The animation is beautiful, the girls are interesting each in their own way, and the songs are actually good! All I can compare LL to is random clips from AKB0048 and some other idol animes, but I don't need more to know LL is way out of their league. 0048 was so messy! Everything in that anime drowned under everything in that anime. Really, know how to stop.

So, if we ignore some disturbing facts about Love Live!, like how all the girls can just magically sing quite well and pull off concerts without microphones, or how a bunch of high school students can afford that many glorious costumes, the anime is good. And if I like an anime, boy, then it seriously is good. Sometimes I can't watch even my favourite series because everything that is characteristic to anime tends to disgust me. LL is a very generic anime, and yes, some things in it do annoy me, but it succeeds to hide all that under the great mood that is very genuine and idol-like. In season 2 the anime does become a little slow and lack the feeling, but it's still bearable. Two times 13 episodes is a nicely short anime for someone like me.

Love Live! lacks logic, but it succeeds on fulfilling the most important thing - being a Happy Maker!, like they sing in the song above. So, even if I still prefer my idols in the flesh, I can suggest watching Love Live! if you're even slightly interested in it. At least season 1. 

4 comments:

  1. There are some other good idol animes than just Love Live (even though they aren't so popular right now). For example The iDOLM@STER which was quite popular when it come up in 2011. And last year aired anime named Wake Up, Girls! and now there is currently airing The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls (pretty good so far).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for recommendations! I have actually heard of both of those, I think, maybe one day I'll check them out! :3

      Delete
  2. The reason why I atm love so much LL is because of that rhythm game - I've always been in love rhythm games so it was just natural to download it and try (okay after friend of mine recommended it so highly and actually forced me to play it). I haven't seen the anime yet but have thought to watch it sooner or later because of I really want to know more about LL to be "a real fan" of it.

    I haven't had any problem with anime idols since I myself too watch anime and like it - though I must admit I haven't yet watched any series which would include idols in any form (okay let's face it I'm lazy to watch any series especially those I should). Also I found idols and j-pop before anime idols so in a way I don't have anything against to this boom, especially if it's a way to get more (nice) people into this stuff (no I don't have anything against to other fans but everything turns ugly when aggressive fans are concerned in). My biggest problem with anime idols is the fucking 3D in dance shots - I'm still waiting the day when they manage to animate an anime dancing without looking anime dancing (I know they can do it if they really want).

    But yeah, I think I really have to watch Love Live since Giko and now you have recommended it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda want to play the rhythm game too, but then again it's maybe better I don't. I get obsesses so easily, lol.

      I too have a bit of an issue with the 3D-dancing you talked about, but in Love Live! it was quite well hidden, because the scenes with dancing/performances switch from 3D to animated and back really often. More than that, I found myself disliking the way the girls blush and look like I'm not going to say what - I guess it's a fanservice thing.

      But yes, season 1 is highly recommendable! Then if you feel like it, season 2, yes, but it's a bit disappointing.

      Delete